Punjab Cabinet meet on Rajoana inconclusive
Chandigarh: Punjab Cabinet on Saturday failed to reach a consensus on the issue of appealing to the President to pardon Balwant Singh Rajoana, who is to be hanged on March 31 for assassinating Beant Singh August 1, 2007.
The meet came after the Sikh high priests, who met in Amritsar yesterday, had directed the Chief Minister and the SGPC chief to meet President Pratibha Patil and make efforts to save Rajoana from the gallows.
Meawnwhile, SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal has called an emergency meeting of the party`s core committee on Sunday in the wake of Sikh high priests directing the Chief Minister and the SGPC head to meet the President and make efforts to save Balwant Singh Rajoana from the gallows.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, who is also SAD patron, and SGPC head Avtar Singh Makkar would also attend the meeting which will be held here tomorrow, Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) secretary Daljit Singh Cheema said today.
Cheema said the core committee would deliberate upon the directive of Jathedar, Akal Takht pertaining to the case of Rajoana, a convict in the former chief minister Beant Singh`s assassination.
The highest Sikh temporal body, the Akal Takht, had also directed SGPC president to meet the President and the Prime Minister to save Rajoana, who is scheduled to be hanged in Patiala central jail on March 31.
Additional District and Sessions Judge, Chandigarh, Shalini Nagpal had earlier this month issued a warrant of death sentence against the Babbar Khalsa terrorist.
A special CBI court had awarded death sentence to Rajoana and Jagtar Singh Hawara in the Beant Singh assassination case on August 1, 2007.
Three other accused -- Lakhwinder Singh, Gurmeet Singh and Shamsher Singh -- were sentenced to life imprisonment for hatching the conspiracy to kill Beant Singh.
Rajoana did not appeal against the judgment. The death penalty of Hawara, who filed an appeal against it, was commuted to life sentence.
Beant Singh was assassinated on August 31, 1995 in Chandigarh by militant outfit Babbar Khalsa.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM