Punjab Congress slams Akalis over HSGPC row
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress on Saturday slammed Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal for resorting to "morcha (protest) politics" on the issue of Haryana Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee Act.
Reacting to SAD`s decision to organise a congregation at the Golden Temple complex on July 27 where a morcha would be announced, state Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa said Badal was "exploiting this holiest of holy shrines again for vested political interests".
It seems Badal has not learnt any lesson from the decade-long turbulence he had pushed this state into, during which thousands were killed, Bajwa said in a statement here.
He alleged that Badal`s son and SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal was already commercially exploiting the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) and the Golden Temple.
On the HSGPC, Bajwa asserted Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda had only responded to the aspirations of the Sikhs of his state who, for years, had been demanding their right to manage their shrines.
"This demand had nothing to do with the Congress," he clarified.
The Congress leader claimed that Badal himself had been advocating federal setup for years and now he was objecting to the autonomy sought by Haryana Sikhs.
Bajwa also hit out at Badal for accusing Congress of interfering in the religious affairs of Sikhs, while he met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union ministers seeking intervention in Haryana which amounted to Centre interfering in the religious affairs of Haryana Sikhs.
"It was the Akali Dal which had launched agitation to get a separate Gurdwara Act for Delhi which resulted in the formation of the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee. The Sikhs in Haryana had followed their example," he said.
Bajwa advised Badal to desist from putting Punjab on fire again and also flayed the Modi government for directing Haryana Governor to withdraw his consent to the Haryana Sikh Gurdwara Management Bill, saying it was unconstitutional and and an infringement on the constitutional rights of the state.
Modi was talking of cooperative federalism but this practice was just the opposite, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’