Punjab govt okays Rs 20-cr jail upgrade plan
Chandigarh: The Punjab government gave its nod to a plan to modernise and upgrade security at jails in the state at a cost of Rs 20 crore on Thursday.
The decision to this effect was taken by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal at a high-level meeting of the jail department, according to a release here.
The comprehensive plan, submitted by jail department, aims at completely overhauling prison security systems with the installation of high-powered jammers, door metal detectors and other equipment.
The meeting also saw the CM stress on the need to strictly check the supply of drugs in jails, a menace which he said posed a serious threat to inmates.
Badal also cleared a proposal for recruitment of 573 ex-servicemen from the Punjab Ex-servicemen Corporation for deployment in jails to bolster security.
The CM asked Principal Secretary (Home), DS Bains, to explore the scope for simplifying the process of inmates` release upon completion of their prison sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees