Punjab govt okays Rs 20-cr jail upgrade plan
Chandigarh: The Punjab government gave its nod to a plan to modernise and upgrade security at jails in the state at a cost of Rs 20 crore on Thursday.
The decision to this effect was taken by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal at a high-level meeting of the jail department, according to a release here.
The comprehensive plan, submitted by jail department, aims at completely overhauling prison security systems with the installation of high-powered jammers, door metal detectors and other equipment.
The meeting also saw the CM stress on the need to strictly check the supply of drugs in jails, a menace which he said posed a serious threat to inmates.
Badal also cleared a proposal for recruitment of 573 ex-servicemen from the Punjab Ex-servicemen Corporation for deployment in jails to bolster security.
The CM asked Principal Secretary (Home), DS Bains, to explore the scope for simplifying the process of inmates` release upon completion of their prison sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Quantico' diva Priyanka Chopra misses mommy during shoots!- See pic
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM