Punjab govt okays Rs 20-cr jail upgrade plan
Chandigarh: The Punjab government gave its nod to a plan to modernise and upgrade security at jails in the state at a cost of Rs 20 crore on Thursday.
The decision to this effect was taken by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal at a high-level meeting of the jail department, according to a release here.
The comprehensive plan, submitted by jail department, aims at completely overhauling prison security systems with the installation of high-powered jammers, door metal detectors and other equipment.
The meeting also saw the CM stress on the need to strictly check the supply of drugs in jails, a menace which he said posed a serious threat to inmates.
Badal also cleared a proposal for recruitment of 573 ex-servicemen from the Punjab Ex-servicemen Corporation for deployment in jails to bolster security.
The CM asked Principal Secretary (Home), DS Bains, to explore the scope for simplifying the process of inmates` release upon completion of their prison sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?