Punjab govt okays Rs 20-cr jail upgrade plan
Chandigarh: The Punjab government gave its nod to a plan to modernise and upgrade security at jails in the state at a cost of Rs 20 crore on Thursday.
The decision to this effect was taken by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal at a high-level meeting of the jail department, according to a release here.
The comprehensive plan, submitted by jail department, aims at completely overhauling prison security systems with the installation of high-powered jammers, door metal detectors and other equipment.
The meeting also saw the CM stress on the need to strictly check the supply of drugs in jails, a menace which he said posed a serious threat to inmates.
Badal also cleared a proposal for recruitment of 573 ex-servicemen from the Punjab Ex-servicemen Corporation for deployment in jails to bolster security.
The CM asked Principal Secretary (Home), DS Bains, to explore the scope for simplifying the process of inmates` release upon completion of their prison sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir