Punjab govt okays Rs 20-cr jail upgrade plan
Chandigarh: The Punjab government gave its nod to a plan to modernise and upgrade security at jails in the state at a cost of Rs 20 crore on Thursday.
The decision to this effect was taken by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal at a high-level meeting of the jail department, according to a release here.
The comprehensive plan, submitted by jail department, aims at completely overhauling prison security systems with the installation of high-powered jammers, door metal detectors and other equipment.
The meeting also saw the CM stress on the need to strictly check the supply of drugs in jails, a menace which he said posed a serious threat to inmates.
Badal also cleared a proposal for recruitment of 573 ex-servicemen from the Punjab Ex-servicemen Corporation for deployment in jails to bolster security.
The CM asked Principal Secretary (Home), DS Bains, to explore the scope for simplifying the process of inmates` release upon completion of their prison sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog