Punjab govt to shortly launch `night police`: Sukhbir
Chandigarh: In the wake of recent Delhi rape case, the Punjab government has decided to launch `night police` in the state that will only function during night hours.
"The state government is shortly launching night police in the state which will only operate during night hours," Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who also holds the Home portfolio, told reporters here.
The state government will create `special units` for the purpose of night patrolling, he said, adding, night police will work at all district levels.
"At present the duty hours of policemen are long and by late night the cops go to sleep," he said adding that the night police staff will function during the night time only.
Besides, police is also launching quick response teams for rural areas.
The police personnel after getting a call at toll free number will reach at the crime spot within 20 minutes in rural areas as well, he said.
He said that police will depute separate SP level officers who will be in-charge of districts for night hours only to check crime.
Besides, there will be separate night police for highways in the state, he sad.
He said that the government would soon recruit women at the level of DSPs and Inspectors in the police department.
Lashing out at the Centre for its alleged "indecisiveness" in the rape case in Delhi, he said that the Union government takes action only after public outcry.
"Several projects are being delayed as files are pending with the centre government...This indecisiveness of the centre on all fronts, including industry is bringing down the economic situation of states," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says