Punjab govt to shortly launch `night police`: Sukhbir
Chandigarh: In the wake of recent Delhi rape case, the Punjab government has decided to launch `night police` in the state that will only function during night hours.
"The state government is shortly launching night police in the state which will only operate during night hours," Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who also holds the Home portfolio, told reporters here.
The state government will create `special units` for the purpose of night patrolling, he said, adding, night police will work at all district levels.
"At present the duty hours of policemen are long and by late night the cops go to sleep," he said adding that the night police staff will function during the night time only.
Besides, police is also launching quick response teams for rural areas.
The police personnel after getting a call at toll free number will reach at the crime spot within 20 minutes in rural areas as well, he said.
He said that police will depute separate SP level officers who will be in-charge of districts for night hours only to check crime.
Besides, there will be separate night police for highways in the state, he sad.
He said that the government would soon recruit women at the level of DSPs and Inspectors in the police department.
Lashing out at the Centre for its alleged "indecisiveness" in the rape case in Delhi, he said that the Union government takes action only after public outcry.
"Several projects are being delayed as files are pending with the centre government...This indecisiveness of the centre on all fronts, including industry is bringing down the economic situation of states," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India