Punjab govt to shortly launch `night police`: Sukhbir
Chandigarh: In the wake of recent Delhi rape case, the Punjab government has decided to launch `night police` in the state that will only function during night hours.
"The state government is shortly launching night police in the state which will only operate during night hours," Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who also holds the Home portfolio, told reporters here.
The state government will create `special units` for the purpose of night patrolling, he said, adding, night police will work at all district levels.
"At present the duty hours of policemen are long and by late night the cops go to sleep," he said adding that the night police staff will function during the night time only.
Besides, police is also launching quick response teams for rural areas.
The police personnel after getting a call at toll free number will reach at the crime spot within 20 minutes in rural areas as well, he said.
He said that police will depute separate SP level officers who will be in-charge of districts for night hours only to check crime.
Besides, there will be separate night police for highways in the state, he sad.
He said that the government would soon recruit women at the level of DSPs and Inspectors in the police department.
Lashing out at the Centre for its alleged "indecisiveness" in the rape case in Delhi, he said that the Union government takes action only after public outcry.
"Several projects are being delayed as files are pending with the centre government...This indecisiveness of the centre on all fronts, including industry is bringing down the economic situation of states," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert