Punjab Guv Shivraj V Patil pays homage to martyrs
Chandigarh: Punjab Governor Shivraj V Patil on Wednesday joined the people of the region in paying homage to the martyrs at the Chandigarh War Memorial.
"We owe a great debt to the soldiers who have spent prime of their lives protecting the boundaries and maintaining peace in the country," Patil said here while talking to ex-servicemen.
"It is, therefore, our moral responsibility to give top priority to the welfare and well-being of their families. Also, the decorated officers should inculcate the spirit of patriotism and nationalism in their children," he added.
Patil placed a wreath on the memorial in Bounganvillea Garden as the armed forces contingent sounded the last post and reversed arms as a mark of respect to the martyrs. A two-minute silence marked by the sounding hooter was also observed.
The event is held every year on January 30 when people from all walks of life come together at the memorial to pay tributes to the war heroes.
While signing the visitors` book, Patil wrote, "We should remember those who gave their present for the future of others. Their memory can inspire us to do our duties in the best possible manner so that their sacrifices do not go in vain. May their souls rest in eternal peace."
Patil also interacted with war decorated soldiers and Sanjeev Chachra, GoC-in-C, Western Command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing