Punjab: Lady slapper Akali leader not arrested
Chandigarh: The Punjab Police, Tuesday, filed an FIR against the Shiromani Akali Dal leader who slapped a lady teacher, who was demanding a permanent job, at a function in Muktsar district yesterday.
Balwinder Singh, Akali Dal sarpanch of Daula village, has been booked under Section 323 (Voluntarily causing hurt) and 341 (wrongful restraint) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). Although offences under these sections are bailable, but Singh is yet to be arrested.
The lady Varinder Kaur was part of a delegation of teachers who wanted to meet Bhatinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal, the wife of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal at the function.
A scuffle broke out between the teachers` delegation, which wanted to submit a memorandum to Harsimrat Kaur demanding regularization of their job, and Akali Dal workers who wanted the delegation to leave the place.
Balwinder Singh caught hold of Varinder Kaur and slapped her many times, Education Guarantee Scheme (EGS) Teachers Association President Pritpal Singh said.
"Balwinder Singh manhandled me and beat me up," Kaur said and added EGS Jalandhar unit chief Jarnail Singh was also slapped and picked up by police.
The police also locked up the teachers in a house to ensure a smooth conduct of the function", the sources said, adding the teachers have lodged a complaint against Balwinder demanding his arrest.
Police said a case has been registered against members of both the parties.
The incident drew condemnation from across the political spectrum forcing the state to order lodging of an FIR against the sarpanch.
An official spokesman said IG Zonal has been asked to inquire into the incident and submit a report at the earliest.
Chief Parkash Singh Badal said "I condemn this act. We will take action against the sarpanch as per law".
Opposition Congress demanded registration of a criminal case against Balwinder Singh and said "it was a perfect example of Jungle `Raj`
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more