Punjab Police officer beaten up allegedly by Akali Dal leader
Ludhiana: A senior Punjab Police officer was allegedly beaten up by a leader of the state`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal`s youth front in a brawl at a local hotel where the cop went to attend a Christmas-eve party with three of his friends and their families.
Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Counter Intelligence, Ludhiana, S S Mand belonging to Punjab Police Service (PPS) was injured when he intervened after his friend Paramjit Singh, an NRI, was allegedly attacked by the hotel owner Sunny Johar who is also Senior Vice President of Youth Akali Dal (YAD), police said tonight.
Additional Director General of Police (ADGP), Intelligence, H S Dhillon told reporters here this evening that police registered a case under various sections of IPC, including attempt to murder, snatching and the Arms Act against Sunny Johar and Rishi Banda and Aman Inder Singh who is also a YAD leader.
Dhillon said Mand had intervened when his friend Paramjit Singh was allegedly attacked by Sunny after the shoulder of the former accidentally hit the latter while he was on his way to the washroom.
Sunny, his associates including bouncers, allegedly thrashed Paramjit, after which the AIG intervened. But he was also thrashed and in the process he fell on the ground fracturing his right leg.
The PPS officer was taken to a local hospital where he was operated upon this morning, police said.
Dhillon said an FIR was lodged on the complaint of Paramjit Singh against Sunny Johar and his associates.
Sunny, allegedly snatched a revolver and mobile phone of Paramjit Singh, the NRI said in his complaint to the police.
Earlier this month, a local Shiromani Akali Dal leader Ranjit Singh Rana allegedly shot dead an Assistant Sub Inspector of Police who had protested the harassment of his daughter by the politician in Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion