Punjab Police officer beaten up allegedly by Akali Dal leader
Ludhiana: A senior Punjab Police officer was allegedly beaten up by a leader of the state`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal`s youth front in a brawl at a local hotel where the cop went to attend a Christmas-eve party with three of his friends and their families.
Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Counter Intelligence, Ludhiana, S S Mand belonging to Punjab Police Service (PPS) was injured when he intervened after his friend Paramjit Singh, an NRI, was allegedly attacked by the hotel owner Sunny Johar who is also Senior Vice President of Youth Akali Dal (YAD), police said tonight.
Additional Director General of Police (ADGP), Intelligence, H S Dhillon told reporters here this evening that police registered a case under various sections of IPC, including attempt to murder, snatching and the Arms Act against Sunny Johar and Rishi Banda and Aman Inder Singh who is also a YAD leader.
Dhillon said Mand had intervened when his friend Paramjit Singh was allegedly attacked by Sunny after the shoulder of the former accidentally hit the latter while he was on his way to the washroom.
Sunny, his associates including bouncers, allegedly thrashed Paramjit, after which the AIG intervened. But he was also thrashed and in the process he fell on the ground fracturing his right leg.
The PPS officer was taken to a local hospital where he was operated upon this morning, police said.
Dhillon said an FIR was lodged on the complaint of Paramjit Singh against Sunny Johar and his associates.
Sunny, allegedly snatched a revolver and mobile phone of Paramjit Singh, the NRI said in his complaint to the police.
Earlier this month, a local Shiromani Akali Dal leader Ranjit Singh Rana allegedly shot dead an Assistant Sub Inspector of Police who had protested the harassment of his daughter by the politician in Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list