Punjab Police officer beaten up allegedly by Akali Dal leader
Ludhiana: A senior Punjab Police officer was allegedly beaten up by a leader of the state`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal`s youth front in a brawl at a local hotel where the cop went to attend a Christmas-eve party with three of his friends and their families.
Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Counter Intelligence, Ludhiana, S S Mand belonging to Punjab Police Service (PPS) was injured when he intervened after his friend Paramjit Singh, an NRI, was allegedly attacked by the hotel owner Sunny Johar who is also Senior Vice President of Youth Akali Dal (YAD), police said tonight.
Additional Director General of Police (ADGP), Intelligence, H S Dhillon told reporters here this evening that police registered a case under various sections of IPC, including attempt to murder, snatching and the Arms Act against Sunny Johar and Rishi Banda and Aman Inder Singh who is also a YAD leader.
Dhillon said Mand had intervened when his friend Paramjit Singh was allegedly attacked by Sunny after the shoulder of the former accidentally hit the latter while he was on his way to the washroom.
Sunny, his associates including bouncers, allegedly thrashed Paramjit, after which the AIG intervened. But he was also thrashed and in the process he fell on the ground fracturing his right leg.
The PPS officer was taken to a local hospital where he was operated upon this morning, police said.
Dhillon said an FIR was lodged on the complaint of Paramjit Singh against Sunny Johar and his associates.
Sunny, allegedly snatched a revolver and mobile phone of Paramjit Singh, the NRI said in his complaint to the police.
Earlier this month, a local Shiromani Akali Dal leader Ranjit Singh Rana allegedly shot dead an Assistant Sub Inspector of Police who had protested the harassment of his daughter by the politician in Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal