Punjab Police reveal gang-rape victim’s name, draw flak
Gurudaspur: The Punjab Police drew criticism from all quarters, including the victim`s kin, for revealing name of the 30-year old woman, who was abducted and gang-raped here on Friday night.
The police released the victim`s name in a press note on Sunday.
According to reports, the press note was issued after the FIR was lodged by police on the basis of complaints.
Rahul Verma, a lawyer, told reporters that under Section 228 (a) of the Indian Penal Code, naming a rape victim is a punishable offence.
“The provision is clear; it says nobody can publish the victim`s name in such cases. Recently, the Supreme Court, in connection with the Delhi gang-rape, said no name has to be disclosed, because there is a social stigma that exists in our society,” said Verma.
Meanwhile, the incident has spurred an outpouring of anger from women in the state, who feel stalked by the fear of rape.
“There is a sense of insecurity all the time, we feel threatened. There has been outrage over the Delhi gang-rape and another similar incident has occurred here. It shows that women are not safe anywhere,” said Daljeet Kaur, a local woman in Pathankot.
Police have arrested six people so far, including the bus driver and conductor, how allegedly abducted after the victim forcefully and along with other five friends raped her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!