Punjab Police reveal gang-rape victim’s name, draw flak
Gurudaspur: The Punjab Police drew criticism from all quarters, including the victim`s kin, for revealing name of the 30-year old woman, who was abducted and gang-raped here on Friday night.
The police released the victim`s name in a press note on Sunday.
According to reports, the press note was issued after the FIR was lodged by police on the basis of complaints.
Rahul Verma, a lawyer, told reporters that under Section 228 (a) of the Indian Penal Code, naming a rape victim is a punishable offence.
“The provision is clear; it says nobody can publish the victim`s name in such cases. Recently, the Supreme Court, in connection with the Delhi gang-rape, said no name has to be disclosed, because there is a social stigma that exists in our society,” said Verma.
Meanwhile, the incident has spurred an outpouring of anger from women in the state, who feel stalked by the fear of rape.
“There is a sense of insecurity all the time, we feel threatened. There has been outrage over the Delhi gang-rape and another similar incident has occurred here. It shows that women are not safe anywhere,” said Daljeet Kaur, a local woman in Pathankot.
Police have arrested six people so far, including the bus driver and conductor, how allegedly abducted after the victim forcefully and along with other five friends raped her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!