Punjab rejects ARC recommendations on police reforms
New Delhi: The SAD-led Punjab government today rejected recommendations on police reforms by Administrative Reforms Commission (ARC), terming it as an "encroachment" upon the states` powers.
"Such encroachments would not only harm policing in particular but would also harm national interest in general," Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said in a Chief Ministers` conference on ARC`s 5th report `Public order: justice for each...Peace for all` held here.
Instead of enacting a new law, massive funding was required to control crimes, he said seeking additional grants for modernising its police force and strengthening the state machinery.
"Our funding to control serious crime is virtually non- existent and whatever meagre funds are provided they are spread thinly for years," Badal said.
He suggested that police modernisation should be funded entirely from the union budget.
Badal, who is also holding the charge of state home department, said the Punjab government had already implemented most of the ARC recommendations under The Punjab Police Act.
The ARC recommendations of separation of crime investigation from other police functions, establishment of state police boards, welfare and grievance redressal mechanism for police personnel, police complaints authority and police training have been addressed in the Punjab Police Act, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried