Punjab wants BBMB irrigation member from state
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal today urged Union Minister Piyush Goyal to appoint a Bhakra Beas Management Board member (Irrigation) from Punjab to ensure neutrality in the functioning of the esteemed organisation.
Badal, in a letter to the Union Power Minister, said that consequent upon receiving his consent in the matter, the state government would send a panel of officers for selection and appointment as Member (Irrigation), Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB).
The practice which has been followed in this regard was that the Centre obtains panel of officers from Punjab government and an officer so selected from the panel was appointed as Member (Power), BBMB, whereas an officer selected from the panel forwarded by the Haryana government was appointed as Member (Irrigation) BBMB.
There was, however, no bar for appointment of Member (Irrigation) or Member (Power) by selection of officers either from Punjab or Haryana.
He further said ever since the BBMB was constituted, Member (Irrigation) has always been appointed from panel of officers of Haryana cadre.
Needless to say that Punjab and Haryana have equal interest in the subject of `Power` and `Irrigation`. Therefore, post of Member (Irrigation) and Member (Power) should be filled from panel of officers from Punjab and Haryana, by rotation, he said in the letter.
This would ensure impartiality in working of BBMB, he said. Last time, S L Aggarwal, an Engineer of Haryana cadre, was appointed as Member (Irrigation) BBMB, in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam