Rail traffic hit in Punjab due to protest
Chandigarh: Rail traffic was disrupted in
Punjab after workers of the BJP Kisan Morcha stopped trains at
several places in the state demanding a bonus for farmers and
implementation of M S Swaminathan report.
Movement of a few trains, including Delhi-Amritsar
Shatabadi were hit, with railway officials saying that
protesters were not allowing to run trains from Amritsar,
Phagwara and Sahnewal.
"We have requested Punjab Chief Secretary and Home
Secretary to take adequate steps to clear affected railway
tracks in Punjab in order to ensure smooth movement of
trains," Divisional Railway Manager, Ferozepur Division, V
Chaubey said on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a railway official of Ambala division said
that there had not been any impact on rail traffic in its
division - till Rajpura in Punjab, till Kalka in Haryana and
till Una in Himachal Pradesh - because of the protest.
BJP Kisan Morcha decided to observe `Rail Roko` in
several states, including Punjab and Haryana.
The protesters have demanded Rs 500 per quintal as bonus
over and above the Minimum Support Price of Rs 1,285 per
quintal of wheat for current season. They rued that the MSP
was not adequate to recover farmer`s input cost.
BJP Kisan Morcha had also been demanding that the Centre
should implement M S Swaminathan committee report which had
suggested that 50 per cent of total input cost should be added
into MSP as profit.
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Will free jailed Pakistan doctor who tracked Osama bin Laden: Donald Trump
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures