Rail traffic hit in Punjab due to protest
Chandigarh: Rail traffic was disrupted in
Punjab after workers of the BJP Kisan Morcha stopped trains at
several places in the state demanding a bonus for farmers and
implementation of M S Swaminathan report.
Movement of a few trains, including Delhi-Amritsar
Shatabadi were hit, with railway officials saying that
protesters were not allowing to run trains from Amritsar,
Phagwara and Sahnewal.
"We have requested Punjab Chief Secretary and Home
Secretary to take adequate steps to clear affected railway
tracks in Punjab in order to ensure smooth movement of
trains," Divisional Railway Manager, Ferozepur Division, V
Chaubey said on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a railway official of Ambala division said
that there had not been any impact on rail traffic in its
division - till Rajpura in Punjab, till Kalka in Haryana and
till Una in Himachal Pradesh - because of the protest.
BJP Kisan Morcha decided to observe `Rail Roko` in
several states, including Punjab and Haryana.
The protesters have demanded Rs 500 per quintal as bonus
over and above the Minimum Support Price of Rs 1,285 per
quintal of wheat for current season. They rued that the MSP
was not adequate to recover farmer`s input cost.
BJP Kisan Morcha had also been demanding that the Centre
should implement M S Swaminathan committee report which had
suggested that 50 per cent of total input cost should be added
into MSP as profit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video