Rail union members block rail traffic
Chandigarh: Rail movement on New Delhi- Amritsar and New Delhi-Jammu route was today disrupted as Northern Railway Men`s Union (NRMU) members squatted on the tracks demanding arrest of persons who allegedly attacked and injured some of their members in a clash two days back.
A senior railway official said that NRMU members sat on a dharna at different places including Jalandhar, Amritsar, Ludhiana, Ferozepur and Jammu Tawi, affecting the rail traffic for about an hour.
"The movement of 7-8 trains was affected this morning. The dharna was lifted by the union employees after an hour and normal rail traffic has been restored," Ferozepur`s Divisional Railway Manager, N C Goel said over phone.
Five members of NRMU were injured on Saturday night in an alleged clash with members from another union Uttariya Railway Mazdoor Union (URMU) at Ferozepur railway station, where they had gone to deposit the ballot boxes after conclusion of elections for the railway union.
NRMU leaders have maintained that five of their men got injured in the attack and had to be admitted to a Ludhiana hospital.
URMU, however, has claimed that their men were attacked first and four of their members were injured and admitted to a hospital in Amritsar.
Both groups had submitted separate complaints to the police. The NRMU has been demanding immediate arrest of the alleged culprits. They have alleged that no action has been taken so far against the accused.
The election`s result will be declared on May 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter