Railways working on proposal to keep doctors on call in trains
Chandigarh: Railway Ministry is working out on a proposal of providing doctor on call facility in trains by increasing the travel concessions given to the medicos and asking them to remain available during emergency situation.
Union Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said this on Saturday after inaugurating the Golden Jubilee Alumni Convention of Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research here.
The Railways already gives 10 per cent of fare concession to the doctors.
"There is a provision for small concessions to the doctors travelling on train. I would like to extend that. I would like to somehow see what we can do in that regard," Bansal said.
He said doctors will be given fare concessions at the time of ticket reservation, and will be requested to be available in case of medical emergencies in running trains.
Bansal, however, said providing medical care in every train cannot not be possible.
"It will be extremely difficult to provide full (medical facilities) in every train," he said.
He said the concessions, whatever they are worked out, will be for all doctors, including private medicos.
"It will for all doctors. There is already some concession of 10 per cent of fare (given to doctors), we will see what we can do in this regard. I will see what (more) can be done. But definitely, I would like to strengthen first-aid facility," he said.
Bansal said on an average, 2.3 crore passengers travel daily in the trains across the country.
Asked about the lack of ramp facility on various railway platforms across the country, Bansal said there is need for escalators and lifts at some platforms, and the ministry will soon install 122 escalators and some lifts there.
"I know this involves a lot of expenditure. To provide this facility at all platforms will involve a major expenditure, but to start with, we will undertake the exercise at some platforms," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India