Resentment prevails among Congress aspirants to Moga seat
Moga (Punjab): Resentment prevailed among Congress aspirants for Moga by-poll with the nomination of party candidate Vijay Sathi against turncoat Joginderpal Jain of SAD in the run-up to the polls on February 23.
Darshan Singh Brar, a Congress candidate, who lost against Mahesh Inder Singh from Baghapurana assembly seat at the last hustings, and Punjab women Congress chief Malti Thapar are among the party candidates allegedly unhappy over the allotment of party ticket to Sathi.
The disgruntled Congress leaders are of the opinion that with the naming of Sathi as party leader for the Moga by-poll, the Congress High Command had offered the seat to the Shiromani Akali Dal "on a platter".
The supporters of Brar and Thapar urged Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh to ask the high command to re-consider its decision on fielding Sathi.
The supporters of Brar are of the opinion that he was a strong contender for the seat and Sathi may get lukewarm following from Congress followers in the run up to the by-polls.
SAD candidate Jain, who deserted the Congress to join SAD, and panthic morcha nominee Ravinder Singh have already started their election meetings whereas the Congress has been a non- starter till date.
Congress sources said here today that it would approach Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) supremo Manpreet Singh Badal to withdraw his candidate in favour of the Congress. At the last hustings, PPP had failed to open its account.
The by-polls were necessitated after Jain of the Congress left the party and joined Shiromani Akali Dal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly