Resentment prevails among Congress aspirants to Moga seat
Moga (Punjab): Resentment prevailed among Congress aspirants for Moga by-poll with the nomination of party candidate Vijay Sathi against turncoat Joginderpal Jain of SAD in the run-up to the polls on February 23.
Darshan Singh Brar, a Congress candidate, who lost against Mahesh Inder Singh from Baghapurana assembly seat at the last hustings, and Punjab women Congress chief Malti Thapar are among the party candidates allegedly unhappy over the allotment of party ticket to Sathi.
The disgruntled Congress leaders are of the opinion that with the naming of Sathi as party leader for the Moga by-poll, the Congress High Command had offered the seat to the Shiromani Akali Dal "on a platter".
The supporters of Brar and Thapar urged Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh to ask the high command to re-consider its decision on fielding Sathi.
The supporters of Brar are of the opinion that he was a strong contender for the seat and Sathi may get lukewarm following from Congress followers in the run up to the by-polls.
SAD candidate Jain, who deserted the Congress to join SAD, and panthic morcha nominee Ravinder Singh have already started their election meetings whereas the Congress has been a non- starter till date.
Congress sources said here today that it would approach Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) supremo Manpreet Singh Badal to withdraw his candidate in favour of the Congress. At the last hustings, PPP had failed to open its account.
The by-polls were necessitated after Jain of the Congress left the party and joined Shiromani Akali Dal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say