SAD declares support for Bharat Bandh
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) has declared its support for the `Bharat Bandh` called by NDA on May 31 in protest against steep hike in petrol prices.
"The bandh will be observed in a peaceful manner and all commercial establishments, markets and road transport will remain closed and only emergency services will be exempted from the bandh," party spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema said in a statement here.
The SAD appealed to all trade organisations, industrial organisations, transport bodies and people of the state to fully support the bandh call by voluntarily closing their commercial establishments including shops, business houses, markets and transport services.
Condemning the hike in petrol prices, Cheema alleged that the Congress-led UPA has colluded with oil companies to "loot" the common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured