SC quashes CBI probe order against Punjab officer
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday quashed a Punjab and Haryana High Court order directing a CBI probe into the alleged involvement of senior IPS officer of Punjab in the killing of Balwant Singh Bhullar and Balwant Singh Multani during the period of Sikh insurgency in the state.
An apex court bench of Justices BS Chauhan and AK Patnaik said the High Court order suffered from "bias" and was "legally impermissible".
Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Sumedh Singh Saini had been in the dock for the alleged kidnapping and killing of Balwant Bhullar and Multani. The two had been allegedly picked up by police teams after an unsuccessful assassination attempt on Saini in 1991.
The assassination attempt was allegedly by Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, Balwant Bhullar`s son and Multani`s friend. Devinder Bhullar is on death row for his involvement in an attack on the then youth Congress chief MS Bitta in Delhi in 1993.
Directing that all the proceedings consequent to the High Court order are null and void, the court quashed the First Information Report (FIR) registered by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video