SC rejects plea seeking clemency for Rajoana
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain a plea seeking clemency for Balwant Singh Rajoana, convicted for assassinating Punjab’s former chief minister Beant Singh.
The petition was moved by an NGO seeking a stay on Rajoana’s proposed execution on March 31.
Rajoana has himself neither challenged his conviction nor filed any mercy petition although Beant Singh’s relatives had forgiven him.
He had earlier asked the Akalis in a letter not to save him and claimed that they were pushing for a pardon out of fear of losing support in Punjab.
Chief Minister Beant Singh was assassinated by a human bomb, Dilawar Singh, just outside the Punjab secretariat on August 31, 1995. Rajoana was to serve as a back-up bomb in case Dilawar failed.
Rajoana and Jagtar Singh Hawara, the alleged mastermind, were awarded the death sentence. Hawara’s death sentence was commuted to life by Punjab and Haryana High Court. The appeal of another co-accused, Lakhwinder Singh, is pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi