Several Punjab Congress leaders join BJP
Phagwara: Several Congress leaders and supporters here on Sunday joined BJP, giving the Punjab unit a shot in the arm ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
BJP Punjab unit chief Kamal Sharma welcomed these leaders and supporters to the party fold at a function, which was also attended by local BJP MLA Som Parkash Kainth, Punjab CM`s Political Advisor Tikshan Sood among others.
Sharma said the induction of Congress leaders will boost BJP workers and benefit the party.
Among those who shifted their allegiance to BJP were block Congress committee (Rural) president Inderjit Singh Khalyan, local Youth Congress president Gagandip Soni, block secretary Chandan Ghai, Bhaghana village sarpanch Sukhchain Singh and former sarpanch Surjit Singh.
Addressing the gathering, Khalyan said they were disillusioned with the Congress and was being sidelined due to factionalism.
District Congress committee president Harjit Singh Parmar, however, had claimed two days ago that Khalyan had been expelled from primary membership of Congress for six years for his anti-party activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir