Suspected dishonour killing reported from Punjab
Hoshiarpur: Police on Saturday said the suspected murder of a 25-year-old woman was a case of dishonour killing with her parents, fiercely opposed to her affair with a dalit boy, allegedly getting her eliminated.
The body of Manpreet Kaur was found lying near Bhagora on Hoshiarpur-Chandigarh road close to Mahilpur crossing on December 6.
Police had registered a case of murder after it found injury marks.
"A father and a mother had got their daughter killed. It was a case of honour killing," Hoshiarpur SSP Sukhchain Singh Gill told reporters here today.
Manpreet`s father Kapur Singh, mother Balwinder and two others -- Satnam and Jaswinderpal -- had been arrested and Rs 1.50 lakh, a sharp-edged weapon and a car used in the crime seized, he said.
"The girl`s mobile phone and her burnt clothes were also seized from the arrested persons," Gill said.
The SSP said investigations revealed Manpreet was in love with Sandeep Kumar, a dalit, and wanted to marry him in spite of fierce opposition from her parents.
On December 5, Manpreet and her parents had a verbal duel in the presence of Kapur`s close friend Satnam and his driver Gurinder Singh, another accused, who was on the run, he said.
During heated arguments, Satnam allegedly hit her with a wedge and she died instantly, the SSP said.
Later, her parents called Jaswinderpal, a resident of Meetpurm, to dispose of Manpreet`s body for which he took Rs 1.50 lakh, the SSP said.
All the accused had confessed their involvement in the crime, Gill said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened