Suspected dishonour killing reported from Punjab
Hoshiarpur: Police on Saturday said the suspected murder of a 25-year-old woman was a case of dishonour killing with her parents, fiercely opposed to her affair with a dalit boy, allegedly getting her eliminated.
The body of Manpreet Kaur was found lying near Bhagora on Hoshiarpur-Chandigarh road close to Mahilpur crossing on December 6.
Police had registered a case of murder after it found injury marks.
"A father and a mother had got their daughter killed. It was a case of honour killing," Hoshiarpur SSP Sukhchain Singh Gill told reporters here today.
Manpreet`s father Kapur Singh, mother Balwinder and two others -- Satnam and Jaswinderpal -- had been arrested and Rs 1.50 lakh, a sharp-edged weapon and a car used in the crime seized, he said.
"The girl`s mobile phone and her burnt clothes were also seized from the arrested persons," Gill said.
The SSP said investigations revealed Manpreet was in love with Sandeep Kumar, a dalit, and wanted to marry him in spite of fierce opposition from her parents.
On December 5, Manpreet and her parents had a verbal duel in the presence of Kapur`s close friend Satnam and his driver Gurinder Singh, another accused, who was on the run, he said.
During heated arguments, Satnam allegedly hit her with a wedge and she died instantly, the SSP said.
Later, her parents called Jaswinderpal, a resident of Meetpurm, to dispose of Manpreet`s body for which he took Rs 1.50 lakh, the SSP said.
All the accused had confessed their involvement in the crime, Gill said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon