Suspected drug smuggler held
New Delhi: An alleged drug smuggler, who escaped from Delhi Police custody a week ago from Ludhiana, and his associate, a suspected Sikh militant who was declared dead 20 years ago, have been arrested, police said monday.
Raj Kandola, who escaped from police custody, and his associate Sukhvinder were apprehended from Punjab by a team of Delhi Police, a senior police official said.
Kandola, who was first arrested by Delhi Police on August 11, had on September 25 escaped from police custody in Ludhiana while a Delhi Police team was bringing him back after a court hearing in Jalandhar.
When arrested in August, he was allegedly in possession of 411 grams of high quality heroin, 2.75 grams of a psychotropic substance and 250 grams of Ephedrine.
Kandola is wanted in Punjab in connection with a number of cases including for sending illegal immigrants to foreign countries and those relating to Arms Act.
Punjab Police had earlier approached the Delhi Police for help in arresting Kandola after he escaped from police net following unearthing of a narcotics drug manufacturing unit in Jalandhar in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video