Tarn Taran case: Assault video doctored, allege accused cops
Chandigarh: The three policemen, accused of assaulting and abusing a girl in Tarn Taran district after she had approached them to complain about eve teasing, on Friday claimed that the video footage reportedly showing the assault was doctored.
Their statements were recorded by Jalandhar Divisional Commissioner SR Ladhar. They alleged that the video of the incident was "doctored" by a relative of the woman.
Ladhar is conducting a fresh probe into the incident as Supreme Court had rejected the first report, saying that "it does not have the value more that of a scrap paper".
The apex court had said that the findings of the report were "misleading the statement of facts" and it should be "thrown in a dustbin".
The bench had got infuriated on reading the report which said that such baton charges do happen and warned the state government of imposing a heavy penalty if such incident recurs.
"Do you not feel ashamed when a lady is beaten up by police and the state DGP goes on television on that very day justifying the action without conducting any inquiry against police officials," it asked.
The Divisional Commissioner visited the district and recorded the statements of the three accused cops and the two taxi drivers, who have been accused of passing lewd and casteist comments at the girl, officials said here today.
In their statement, the policemen said Jagdish, a relative of the girl, who had captured the incident on camera had conveniently deleted the scenes in which the girl and her relatives "misbehaved" with the policemen on duty.
However, Jagdish denied the allegations of the policemen.
The Divisional Commissioner said the charges will be probed and an expert opinion will be taken in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof