Tarn Taran case: Assault video doctored, allege accused cops
Chandigarh: The three policemen, accused of assaulting and abusing a girl in Tarn Taran district after she had approached them to complain about eve teasing, on Friday claimed that the video footage reportedly showing the assault was doctored.
Their statements were recorded by Jalandhar Divisional Commissioner SR Ladhar. They alleged that the video of the incident was "doctored" by a relative of the woman.
Ladhar is conducting a fresh probe into the incident as Supreme Court had rejected the first report, saying that "it does not have the value more that of a scrap paper".
The apex court had said that the findings of the report were "misleading the statement of facts" and it should be "thrown in a dustbin".
The bench had got infuriated on reading the report which said that such baton charges do happen and warned the state government of imposing a heavy penalty if such incident recurs.
"Do you not feel ashamed when a lady is beaten up by police and the state DGP goes on television on that very day justifying the action without conducting any inquiry against police officials," it asked.
The Divisional Commissioner visited the district and recorded the statements of the three accused cops and the two taxi drivers, who have been accused of passing lewd and casteist comments at the girl, officials said here today.
In their statement, the policemen said Jagdish, a relative of the girl, who had captured the incident on camera had conveniently deleted the scenes in which the girl and her relatives "misbehaved" with the policemen on duty.
However, Jagdish denied the allegations of the policemen.
The Divisional Commissioner said the charges will be probed and an expert opinion will be taken in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’