Tarn Taran thrashing victim attempts to barge into Punjab Assembly
Chandigarh: A young woman who was thrashed and abused by Punjab Police officials in full public view in Punjab`s Tarn Taran district recently on Wednesday tried to barge into the Punjab Assembly complex during the ongoing Budget Session.
The woman was stopped at the entry gate of the Assembly building by security personnel, leading to ruckus at the spot. Congress leaders accompanying her jostled with security personnel. The woman could not reach the Assembly hall.
Leader of Opposition and senior Congress leader Sunil Jakhar was with the 21-year-old woman when she tried to enter the Assembly.
The woman, accompanied by her father, said she had come to the assembly complex to demand justice. Punjab Police on Monday arrested two policemen who had thrashed the woman.
"She did not have any entry pass. We stopped her for security reasons," a security official said.
The Assembly complex, located in Sector 1 here, is a high-security area manned by paramilitary forces and security personnel from Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh.
The young woman was slapped, pushed, abused and hit with a baton by policemen in uniform in Punjab`s frontier district of Tarn Taran on March 3.
Four to five police personnel were caught on camera assaulting the young woman and her father after she reportedly complained to police against some taxi and truck drivers harassing her near a marriage hall in Tarn Taran district, 280 km from here.
The incident was recorded by a bystander on his mobile phone on Sunday, and later aired by TV news channels.
An embarrassed Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had last week ordered a magisterial probe into the incident. Badal directed the Tarn Taran district magistrate to ascertain the causes and circumstances which led to the incident and submit an inquiry report in three weeks.
The Congress has staged a walkout from the state assembly over the Tarn Taran incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog