Ten in fray for by-poll in Punjab
Chandigarh: The battle-lines have been drawn for the Moga assembly seat by-election in Punjab between the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal and the opposition Congress. Ten candidates are in the fray for the Feb 23 polls.
The main contest is between Akali Dal candidate Joginder Pal Jain and the Congress candidate Vijay Kumar Sathi.
Jain had quit the assembly seat and the Congress party Dec 26 and joined the Akali Dal. He was elected from the Moga seat on the Congress ticket in the 2012 assembly polls.
His resignation forced a by-election.
The Congress leadership, led by state Congress president Amarinder Singh are urging Moga voters to "punish" Jain, a "turncoat".
"He has betrayed the people of Moga who elected him only last year. He should be punished," Singh said.
But Jain defends his decision saying that he quit the Congress due to the functioning style of Congress leaders and also because dissidence were being encouraged against him.
For Akali Dal president Sukhbir Badal, Jain`s exit from the Congress and his subsequent entry into the Akali Dal was a "political coup" to embarrass state Congress leaders.
The Akali Dal announced Jain as its candidate for the bypoll despite strong reservation from its own leaders.
"Our candidate will win by a margin of over 51,000 votes. The Congress will be finished," Badal said.
Congress leaders have accused the ruling party of trying to intimidate the voters in the constituency.
The People`s Party of Punjab (PPP) led by former finance minister Manpreet Badal, has fielded Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal in the contest, ignoring a move by the Congress leadership to put up a joint opposition candidate.
There are also independents in the fray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- New `Phobia` poster will blow your mind!
- Watch: Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser trailer will leave you wanting more
- It's out! Kangana, Shahid and Saif Ali Khan's 'Rangoon' release date set!
- Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - As it happened...
- Angelina Jolie to teach masters course at London School of Economics!