Two arrested in Punjab ASI murder case
Phagwara: Local police on Wednesday arrested two accused, including an NRI, allegedly involved in the murder of ASI Gurdev Singh near the Delhi-Jalandhar National Highway here.
Tavinder Singh alias Tally, an NRI, presently living in Tut Kalan village in Jalandhar district and Pushpinder Singh alias Noni Lahoria were arrested, Phagwara SP Harkamalpreet Singh Khakh said on Wednesday night.
Tally had returned from the UK some time ago.
Khakh said an indigenous .32 bore pistol and four live cartridges were recovered from him.
"Since Tally wanted to escape by jumping down from the roof of his hideout, he sustained multiple fractures in his left leg and was brought to civil hospital here for treatment," Khakh said.
He said Tally was arrested in a combined operation of Phagwara, Bholath and Sultanpur Lodhi police.
"We got a tip off that Tally was hiding in historic inn `Jahangir Di Saran` in Jahangir Mallian village. When police raided the hideout, he climbed on the roof.
"When chased, he jumped down to escape but was overpowered," Khakh said.
Khakh said two other alleged assailants Rajinder Singh alias Mintu of Wadaliwala village in Fatehgarsh Sahib district and Palwinder Singh alias Pinda of Nihaluwal village, Lohian in Jalansdhar district will be arrested soon.
Gurdev Singh (50) was on traffic patrol duty when he confronted a person who was allegedly taking drugs inside a hotel and was shot dead while chasing him on March 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues