Two brothers killed in mishap in Punjab
Phagwara: Two brothers were killed when their motorcycle collided with a car on the Phagwara- Hoshiarpur road, triggering angry protests by relatives and villagers who blocked the road.
The mishap took place yesterday when the two were going to attend a wedding. The deceased were identified as Bakhshi Ram and Shankar Das of Alawarpur village in Jalandhar district, police said today.
While Bakhshi Ram died on the accident spot, Das was referred to a Jalandhar hospital where he succumbed to injuries.
Agitated relatives of the deceased and villagers staged a demonstration and blocked traffic on the Phagwara-Hoshiarpur road by placing the body of Bakhshi Ram on the road to protest the alleged police inaction against the culprit.
Later, on the intervention of SP Harkamalpreet Singh Khakh, a case under Section 304-A (causing death by negligence) of IPC was registered against car driver Harjit Singh who was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note