Two brothers killed in mishap in Punjab
Phagwara: Two brothers were killed when their motorcycle collided with a car on the Phagwara- Hoshiarpur road, triggering angry protests by relatives and villagers who blocked the road.
The mishap took place yesterday when the two were going to attend a wedding. The deceased were identified as Bakhshi Ram and Shankar Das of Alawarpur village in Jalandhar district, police said today.
While Bakhshi Ram died on the accident spot, Das was referred to a Jalandhar hospital where he succumbed to injuries.
Agitated relatives of the deceased and villagers staged a demonstration and blocked traffic on the Phagwara-Hoshiarpur road by placing the body of Bakhshi Ram on the road to protest the alleged police inaction against the culprit.
Later, on the intervention of SP Harkamalpreet Singh Khakh, a case under Section 304-A (causing death by negligence) of IPC was registered against car driver Harjit Singh who was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez