Two brothers killed in mishap in Punjab
Phagwara: Two brothers were killed when their motorcycle collided with a car on the Phagwara- Hoshiarpur road, triggering angry protests by relatives and villagers who blocked the road.
The mishap took place yesterday when the two were going to attend a wedding. The deceased were identified as Bakhshi Ram and Shankar Das of Alawarpur village in Jalandhar district, police said today.
While Bakhshi Ram died on the accident spot, Das was referred to a Jalandhar hospital where he succumbed to injuries.
Agitated relatives of the deceased and villagers staged a demonstration and blocked traffic on the Phagwara-Hoshiarpur road by placing the body of Bakhshi Ram on the road to protest the alleged police inaction against the culprit.
Later, on the intervention of SP Harkamalpreet Singh Khakh, a case under Section 304-A (causing death by negligence) of IPC was registered against car driver Harjit Singh who was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO