Two Punjab Congress leader quit party to join SAD
Chandigarh: In a blow to Punjab Congress, two of its senior leader resigned from the party and joined the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) on Friday.
Congress MLA Jeet Mohinder Singh Sidhu from Talwandi Saboo Assembly seat and former minister Malkiat Singh Birmi joined the SAD in the presence of party president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal here.
Sidhu, a prominent leader in the Malwa region of Punjab, once remained a close confidant of former chief minister Amarinder Singh.
Sukhbir welcomed both the Congress leaders into the party fold and described their decision as a "major development" in the Punjab politics.
Meanwhile, Assembly Speaker Charanjeet Singh Atwal said he had received Sidhu`s resignation as MLA and it had been accepted.
Earlier, Congress legislator Joginderpal Jain and former minister Avtar Singh Brar had also joined Akali Dal and were rewarded with plum positions by the party.
Asked about his decision to join the SAD, Sidhu said Congress in Punjab and at the Center was on a suicidal path.
"The Congress top leaderships` non decisiveness is having a direct impact on workers in Punjab," he said, adding that state Congress Chief Partap Singh Bajwa was taking unilateral decisions like in the case of Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) supremo Manpreet Singh Badal.
Manpreet, former finance minister of the Badal government, is contesting from Bathinda against his sister-in-law and sitting MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal with the backing of Congress.
"The decision to support Manpreet by Congress is most dangerous and uncalled for by the top Congress leadership... this decision had been taken without taking Punjab Congress MLAs into confidence, particularly those from Malwa region," he said.
Sidhu said the Congress had tried to engineer defection in the PPP in the run-up to the Assembly polls in 2012 and now its high command is not only compromising, but joining hands with Manpreet who had tried to damage the prospects of Congress candidates in the Assembly polls.
"We feel cheated and deceived by Bajwa and central leadership of Congress on the issue of Manpreet," he said.
"Everyone in the Congress wants to become a leader and no one is prepared to work as a worker," he said, adding that Bajwa was unable to take workers along with him.
"The Congress is faction ridden in Punjab...Bajwa`s only aim is to become the Chief minister...The decision to back Manpreet is the last nail in the Congress coffin," he said.
The SAD is the largest party with 57 seats in the 17-member Punjab Assembly. Its ally, BJP, has 12.
The Congress has been reduced to 44 seats with one seat falling vacant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now