Wanted Babbar Khalsa terrorist held in Tarn Taran
Amritsar: An alleged Babbar Khalsa terrorist, wanted in more than a dozen cases, was arrested in Tarn Taran district, about 23 kms from here, police said on Wednesday.
Narain Singh Chaura, who was nabbed last evening from Jallabad village, was wanted in several cases including one involving the recovery of a large quantity of explosives in 2009, Amritsar Commissioner of Police, Ram Singh said.
Chaura was also allegedly instrumental in the 2004 Burail Jail break case which led to the escape of Jagtar Singh Tara, Hawara and Paramjit Singh Bheroa, the trio involved in the assassination of former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh in a bomb blast, he said.
Chaura had even visited Pakistan to meet terrorists based in the neighbouring country`s Punjab province, police said adding, he was also alleged of smuggling of a huge consignment of heroine from Pakistan into India.
Chaura had been arrested for his role in the Burail jail break but was released on bail in 2005, and thereafter he went missing, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes