Wanted Babbar Khalsa terrorist held in Tarn Taran
Amritsar: An alleged Babbar Khalsa terrorist, wanted in more than a dozen cases, was arrested in Tarn Taran district, about 23 kms from here, police said on Wednesday.
Narain Singh Chaura, who was nabbed last evening from Jallabad village, was wanted in several cases including one involving the recovery of a large quantity of explosives in 2009, Amritsar Commissioner of Police, Ram Singh said.
Chaura was also allegedly instrumental in the 2004 Burail Jail break case which led to the escape of Jagtar Singh Tara, Hawara and Paramjit Singh Bheroa, the trio involved in the assassination of former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh in a bomb blast, he said.
Chaura had even visited Pakistan to meet terrorists based in the neighbouring country`s Punjab province, police said adding, he was also alleged of smuggling of a huge consignment of heroine from Pakistan into India.
Chaura had been arrested for his role in the Burail jail break but was released on bail in 2005, and thereafter he went missing, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof