Woman strangled to death by husband, brother-in-law over dowry
Hoshiarpur: A woman was strangled to death allegedly by her husband and brother-in-law over dowry in a village here, police said on Sunday.
Paramjit Kaur was killed by her husband Balbir Singh and his brother Ramjit for dowry in Jangniwal village last night, they said.
On the complaint made by her father Sarabjit Singh, a resident of Banjerbagh area, a case of murder was registered against the two brothers, police said.
According to Sarabjit, his daughter, who was married to Balbir about eight years ago, telephoned him last night and told him about the frequent physical torture by her husband and Ramjit for dowry.
Sarabjit claimed that he along with few other residents of the area rushed to Balbir`s residence, where they spotted the two brothers strangulating Paramjit.
She died on the spot, while Balbir and his brother managed to escape, he added.
A case has been registered against the two accused, police said adding, efforts are being made to arrest them at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees