Youth dies in police custody, family claims foul play
Amritsar: A 24-year-old youth has died in police custody here and was cremated immediately, with his kin alleging that "excessive torture" lead to his death.
Satinderpal Singh, who was taken into custody on August 01 by the police officials after he failed to produce registration book of the motorbike he was riding, was found dead on Saturday morning, police said.
The last rites of the victim was performed without informing his family members after which they along with hundreds of locals staged protest demonstration blocking the vehicular traffic.
They demanded stern action against the police officials responsible for the death of Singh.
However, the allegation of brutal police action was denied by ADCP Crime Harjit Brar, who claimed that the victim was already dead when he was found on the road side along with his bike.
When asked about the cremation done in haste, the top cop clarified that after no one claimed the body for last two days, the officials were forced to conduct the last rites of the deceased.
Further investigations are on into the case, the ADCP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you