Youth dies in police custody, family claims foul play
Amritsar: A 24-year-old youth has died in police custody here and was cremated immediately, with his kin alleging that "excessive torture" lead to his death.
Satinderpal Singh, who was taken into custody on August 01 by the police officials after he failed to produce registration book of the motorbike he was riding, was found dead on Saturday morning, police said.
The last rites of the victim was performed without informing his family members after which they along with hundreds of locals staged protest demonstration blocking the vehicular traffic.
They demanded stern action against the police officials responsible for the death of Singh.
However, the allegation of brutal police action was denied by ADCP Crime Harjit Brar, who claimed that the victim was already dead when he was found on the road side along with his bike.
When asked about the cremation done in haste, the top cop clarified that after no one claimed the body for last two days, the officials were forced to conduct the last rites of the deceased.
Further investigations are on into the case, the ADCP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorists gun down policeman in Kashmir's Pulwama district
- BJP to hold meet with CMs' of party-ruled states, PM Modi to address concluding session
- JD(U) backs Mamata Banerjee, says resistance against Centre is growing
- Three low-intensity earthquakes hit Himachal Pradesh, no casualties
- SL vs AUS: How Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn ridiculed Steve Smith for heading home