Asaram case being probed by Jodhpur Police Commissioner: Gehlot
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Thursday said rape charge against controversial guru Asaram Bapu was being investigated by Jodhpur Police Commissioner and action would be taken on the basis of "truth and facts".
"I have spoken to Jodhpur Police Commissioner last night and told him to investigate the case at every level, and ensure action based on truth and facts," Gehlot told reporters after a Solar workshop here.
The Delhi police filed a case against Asaram Bapu on the complaint of a 16-year-old girl that he had sexually assaulted her in a Jodhpur ashram recently.
"Jodhpur police has already inspected the place of alleged crime," Gehlot said, adding that "levelling allegations against someone is one matter...I think guilty should get punishment."
"...Until the investigation in the case is over, I will not comment on it. Jodhpur Police Commissioner and Superintendent of Police are tackling the case...Let the process of probe be completed," he said.
"Sadhu-sants preaching religion or spirituality should maintain their best character and work in their limit as any bad message would hurt and shock the society. People in society pay their regards to these sadhus and sants, such cases are not a good sign," he said.
Asaram Bapu was booked by Delhi Police for allegedly raping a minor girl at his Jodhpur Ashram on August 15.
A case was registered against Asaram under Sections 376, 342, 509 of IPC, 354 of the IPC, Juvenile Justice Act and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
The case was referred to Police Commissioner at Jodhpur where an FIR was lodged yesterday, and Assistant Police Commissioner (west) Chanchal Mishra was handed over the case for investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics