Ashram owner arrested for sexual exploitation
Jaipur: Rajasthan police have arrested the owner of an `ashram` on charges of sexually exploiting children belonging to poor families, police said on Wednesday.
Ram Singh, 35, the owner of Eklavya Ashram in Hanumangarh town, some 400 km from Jaipur, was arrested late on Tuesday after the parents of several children approached the district administration accusing him of sexually exploiting their wards.
"The ashram has been operating for the past 15 years. Children from poor families live here and study. Of the 84 children studying in the ashram currently, 26 are orphans. Lot of people in the town used to give hefty donations for the ashram," a police officer said.
"Family members of some children approached the District Collector recently and alleged that Ram Singh was sexually exploiting their wards. An enquiry was ordered and a team of police and administration officials took the statements of the children," said the officer.
He said the children confirmed they were sexually abused.
"A first information report was registered against Singh and he was arrested on Tuesday night," said the officer.
The police have got some of the children medically examined.
"Singh is being interrogated. The statements of other staff at the ashram are also being recorded," said the officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what