Bhanwari murder case: Key accused flees from court
Jodhpur: Kailash Jakhar, a key accused in the Bhanwari Devi murder case, and three others on Thursday escaped from Jodhpur sessions court leaving the police in a tizzy.
Jakhar and four others managed to escape shortly after they were produced before the court hearing the case.
Jakhar, who was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in January, is accused of disposing off Bhanwari Devi`s body parts in a canal.
Jakhar has been in jail since his arrest in January,.
According to reports, Bishna Ram - another accused in the case - also tried to flee from the court premises but was overpowered by police.
Bhanwari Devi, a trained auxiliary midwife and nurse, mysteriously disappeared from Jodhpur`s Bilara area on September 1, 2010.
After several months of investigations, the CBI recovered the remains of her body that were dumped in a canal in Jaloda village.
The central probe agency has filed three chargesheets in connection with the case. The CBI in its chargesheet has alleged that three men - Shahabuddin, Sohan lal and Baldev Jat alias Balia - kidnapped Bhanwari from Bilara in Jodhpur rural area on September 1 at the behest of former Rajasthan minister Mahipal Maderna and Congress MLA Malkhan Singh Bishnoi, killed her and then handed over her body to a gang of criminals headed by Bishnaram.
The gang burnt the body to ashes and dumped her remains in a canal.
The CBI also claimed in the chargesheet that Bhanwari was blackmailing Maderna and Malkhan on the basis of a CD showing both in a compromising position with her.
The agency had on February 29 filed a supplementary chargesheet in the case, naming Maderna as the mastermind behind the nurse`s disappearance and subsequent murder.
The chargesheet contained accounts of 300 witnesses and 313 documents in evidence.
The CBI has chargesheeted Maderna, Malkhan Singh, Indra Bishnoi and Malkhan Singh`s brother Parasram Bishnoi as the key conspirators while 11 others -- including Sohan Lal, Shahabuddin and Baldev Jat alias Balia, Umesha Ram, Sahi Ram Bishnoi, Bishna Ram Bishnoi, Om Prakash Bishnoi, Kailash Jakhar and Ashok Bishnoi -- have been named the murderers.
Bhanwari`s husband Amarchand has also been booked for criminal conspiracy. Indra Bishnoi is still on the run.
Most of the accused were booked under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections for murder, kidnap, criminal conspiracy and causing disappearance of evidence.
(With PTI Input)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in