Bhanwari murder case: Key accused flees from court
Jodhpur: Kailash Jakhar, a key accused in the Bhanwari Devi murder case, and three others on Thursday escaped from Jodhpur sessions court leaving the police in a tizzy.
Jakhar and four others managed to escape shortly after they were produced before the court hearing the case.
Jakhar, who was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in January, is accused of disposing off Bhanwari Devi`s body parts in a canal.
Jakhar has been in jail since his arrest in January,.
According to reports, Bishna Ram - another accused in the case - also tried to flee from the court premises but was overpowered by police.
Bhanwari Devi, a trained auxiliary midwife and nurse, mysteriously disappeared from Jodhpur`s Bilara area on September 1, 2010.
After several months of investigations, the CBI recovered the remains of her body that were dumped in a canal in Jaloda village.
The central probe agency has filed three chargesheets in connection with the case. The CBI in its chargesheet has alleged that three men - Shahabuddin, Sohan lal and Baldev Jat alias Balia - kidnapped Bhanwari from Bilara in Jodhpur rural area on September 1 at the behest of former Rajasthan minister Mahipal Maderna and Congress MLA Malkhan Singh Bishnoi, killed her and then handed over her body to a gang of criminals headed by Bishnaram.
The gang burnt the body to ashes and dumped her remains in a canal.
The CBI also claimed in the chargesheet that Bhanwari was blackmailing Maderna and Malkhan on the basis of a CD showing both in a compromising position with her.
The agency had on February 29 filed a supplementary chargesheet in the case, naming Maderna as the mastermind behind the nurse`s disappearance and subsequent murder.
The chargesheet contained accounts of 300 witnesses and 313 documents in evidence.
The CBI has chargesheeted Maderna, Malkhan Singh, Indra Bishnoi and Malkhan Singh`s brother Parasram Bishnoi as the key conspirators while 11 others -- including Sohan Lal, Shahabuddin and Baldev Jat alias Balia, Umesha Ram, Sahi Ram Bishnoi, Bishna Ram Bishnoi, Om Prakash Bishnoi, Kailash Jakhar and Ashok Bishnoi -- have been named the murderers.
Bhanwari`s husband Amarchand has also been booked for criminal conspiracy. Indra Bishnoi is still on the run.
Most of the accused were booked under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections for murder, kidnap, criminal conspiracy and causing disappearance of evidence.
(With PTI Input)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon