Dalit groom leads marriage procession under police protection
Bundi: Police escorted the marriage procession of a 24-year-old Dalit bridegroom, who was allegedly not allowed to ride on horseback by Gujjar community members in Barwas village.
According to the police, bridegroom Ramesh, belonging to Meghwal community which is categorized under Scheduled Caste, was supposed to wed in Deoli town of Tonk district yesterday.
When Ramesh was riding on horseback during his marriage procession in Barwas village of Hindoli sub-division on Friday night, he was stopped by some Gujjar community members.
The community members believe that it is an exclusive right of upper castes to ride a horse during wedding procession.
On a complaint of Ramesh`s father Udailal Meghwal, a case against two dozen Gujjar community members was registered yesterday under various sections of the IPC and the SC-ST Act, however, no one has been arrested so far in this connection, Station House Officer (SHO), Hindoli police station, Sheeshram Meena said.
The case has been lodged against Kanhaya Gurjar, Laxman Gujar, Kalu Gujar, Narayan Gujar and about 15 others of the same village, the SHO said, adding, raids are being conducted to nab them from suspected locations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble