Irked over colleagues` behaviour, Jaipur Mayor sits on protest
Jaipur: City Mayor Jyoti Khandelwal on Saturday sat on a silent protest against the alleged unruly behaviour of BJP councillors during the municipal proceedings.
Accusing BJP members of creating disturbance during the proceedings of Jaipur Municipal Corporation yesterday, Khandelwal sat on a dharna near the JDA circle here before being detained for carrying out a rally without permission.
"After the dharna, Khandelwal marched towards Gandhi circle along with her 60-70 supporters for which they did not had the permission, so all of them were dispersed peacefully under section 129 of CrPC," a senior police officer said.
The Mayor was planning to hold a protest and distribute food packets to her supporters at the Gandhi circle, which is not permitted, the official said, adding that they had permission to hold the dharna at JDA circle only.
Khandelwal and her supporters were taken to different police stations and while some of her supporters were released, the mayor is still at the Kanota police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India