Irked over colleagues` behaviour, Jaipur Mayor sits on protest
Jaipur: City Mayor Jyoti Khandelwal on Saturday sat on a silent protest against the alleged unruly behaviour of BJP councillors during the municipal proceedings.
Accusing BJP members of creating disturbance during the proceedings of Jaipur Municipal Corporation yesterday, Khandelwal sat on a dharna near the JDA circle here before being detained for carrying out a rally without permission.
"After the dharna, Khandelwal marched towards Gandhi circle along with her 60-70 supporters for which they did not had the permission, so all of them were dispersed peacefully under section 129 of CrPC," a senior police officer said.
The Mayor was planning to hold a protest and distribute food packets to her supporters at the Gandhi circle, which is not permitted, the official said, adding that they had permission to hold the dharna at JDA circle only.
Khandelwal and her supporters were taken to different police stations and while some of her supporters were released, the mayor is still at the Kanota police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach