Irked over colleagues` behaviour, Jaipur Mayor sits on protest
Jaipur: City Mayor Jyoti Khandelwal on Saturday sat on a silent protest against the alleged unruly behaviour of BJP councillors during the municipal proceedings.
Accusing BJP members of creating disturbance during the proceedings of Jaipur Municipal Corporation yesterday, Khandelwal sat on a dharna near the JDA circle here before being detained for carrying out a rally without permission.
"After the dharna, Khandelwal marched towards Gandhi circle along with her 60-70 supporters for which they did not had the permission, so all of them were dispersed peacefully under section 129 of CrPC," a senior police officer said.
The Mayor was planning to hold a protest and distribute food packets to her supporters at the Gandhi circle, which is not permitted, the official said, adding that they had permission to hold the dharna at JDA circle only.
Khandelwal and her supporters were taken to different police stations and while some of her supporters were released, the mayor is still at the Kanota police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'