PUCL condemns Afzal Guru`s hanging
Jaipur: People`s Union of Civil Liberties (PUCL) on Saturday condemned the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and alleged that there were "political considerations" behind the step.
"The tearing hurry with which Afzal Guru was hanged, accompanied by the flouting of all established norms by not giving his family their legal right to meet him before taking him to the gallows, indicates that there were political considerations behind taking this step," an official statement issued here said.
The activists of the outfit`s state unit, led by its general secretary Kavita Srivastava and president Prem Kishan demanded that the government must abolish death penalty.
"Starting with Kasab, now with Afzal Guru, the country is going to witness a spate of executions. We give a call to the nation to break this spiral of executions," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview