PUCL condemns Afzal Guru`s hanging
Jaipur: People`s Union of Civil Liberties (PUCL) on Saturday condemned the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and alleged that there were "political considerations" behind the step.
"The tearing hurry with which Afzal Guru was hanged, accompanied by the flouting of all established norms by not giving his family their legal right to meet him before taking him to the gallows, indicates that there were political considerations behind taking this step," an official statement issued here said.
The activists of the outfit`s state unit, led by its general secretary Kavita Srivastava and president Prem Kishan demanded that the government must abolish death penalty.
"Starting with Kasab, now with Afzal Guru, the country is going to witness a spate of executions. We give a call to the nation to break this spiral of executions," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security