RTI activist attacked in Rajasthan
Jaipur: A 65-year-old Right to Information (RTI) activist who was working to expose irregularities in the rural jobs scheme MGNREGA in Rajasthan is battling for life at a hospital here after being attacked by miscreants.
Dudhram is a former headman or sarpanch of Somalsar village near Nokha city of Bikaner district.
"He was brutally beaten up by some miscreants Feb 2 as he was trying to expose corruption in the MGNREGA work in his area," Chetan Ram, an NGO activist in Bikaner, told a news agency.
He has nine fractures and his kidney was affected in the attack, said Ram.
Dudhram`s family as well as the NGO alleges he was beaten up by supporters of the current sarpanch. He was admitted in a critical condition at the private S.K. Soni Hospital here.
"He is in ICU and showing signs of improvement, but he will take time to recover fully," said a doctor at the hospital where he has been admitted.
The incident flared up after Dudhram lodged a complaint with the state government`s Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) saying six roads were constructed at a cost of Rs 12 crore in 2010 in Nokha. He said in spite of this work not being completed in 2011, work was sanctioned again under MGNREGA for clearing sand from the roads. He alleged that actually no such work was carried out, but around Rs 4 crore was paid for it.
The government engineer and people of the area also wrote to the collector that no work had been done after which a team from Jaipur came for inspection. The issue flared up and Dudhram was beaten up brutally, said Chetan Ram.
"An FIR was filed against 10 accused, but as per our knowledge no arrests have been made so far in the case," said Chetan Ram.
MGNREGA or the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act is a flagship scheme of the central government guaranteeing 100 days of work every year to one member of every rural household.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India