SC allows Rajasthan HC judge`s daughter to marry her boyfriend
Zee Media bureau
New Delhi: In an awful incident, Rajasthan High Court Judge Justice Raghvendra Singh Rathore allegedly confined his 30-year-old daughter at home to bar her from marrying her boyfriend belonging to a different caste.
However, in a major relief, the Supreme Court on Monday directed the Rajasthan police to hand over the girl to her boyfriend whom she wants to marry.
The apex court’s decision came after it recorded the statement of the daughter of Rathore.
"Keeping in view her welfare and the fact that she has already attained majority, we say that she is at liberty to take her own future decisions," a bench comprising justices HL Dattu and C Nagappan said after recording the statement.
Siddharath Mukherjee had filed a petition in the Supreme Court after Rathore put his daughter under house arrest.
According to Mukherjee’s petition, Justice Rathore is opposed to marriage between Mukherjee and his daughter.
The bench directed the authorities at Gandhinagar police station in Jaipur to hand over the girl to Mukherjee and gave them the liberty to approach the apex court in case any "inconvenience" is caused to them.
During the hearing, it said, "We informed her in the beginning that she is free to make a statement and assured her of the protection from the court."
"She states (in the statement to the top court) that she does not have any ill will against anybody and wanted to marry the petitioner."
The bench then disposed of the petition with a direction to the police to allow her to go to Mukherjee.
Earlier, the court had issued a notice on the plea and asked the state police to produce the girl before it on December 16.
The girl had last month written e-mails to Supreme Court and Rajasthan High Court judges seeking help.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?