SC allows Rajasthan HC judge`s daughter to marry her boyfriend
Zee Media bureau
New Delhi: In an awful incident, Rajasthan High Court Judge Justice Raghvendra Singh Rathore allegedly confined his 30-year-old daughter at home to bar her from marrying her boyfriend belonging to a different caste.
However, in a major relief, the Supreme Court on Monday directed the Rajasthan police to hand over the girl to her boyfriend whom she wants to marry.
The apex court’s decision came after it recorded the statement of the daughter of Rathore.
"Keeping in view her welfare and the fact that she has already attained majority, we say that she is at liberty to take her own future decisions," a bench comprising justices HL Dattu and C Nagappan said after recording the statement.
Siddharath Mukherjee had filed a petition in the Supreme Court after Rathore put his daughter under house arrest.
According to Mukherjee’s petition, Justice Rathore is opposed to marriage between Mukherjee and his daughter.
The bench directed the authorities at Gandhinagar police station in Jaipur to hand over the girl to Mukherjee and gave them the liberty to approach the apex court in case any "inconvenience" is caused to them.
During the hearing, it said, "We informed her in the beginning that she is free to make a statement and assured her of the protection from the court."
"She states (in the statement to the top court) that she does not have any ill will against anybody and wanted to marry the petitioner."
The bench then disposed of the petition with a direction to the police to allow her to go to Mukherjee.
Earlier, the court had issued a notice on the plea and asked the state police to produce the girl before it on December 16.
The girl had last month written e-mails to Supreme Court and Rajasthan High Court judges seeking help.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'