Sexual harassment: BJP demands HC monitored SIT
Jaipur: Accusing the Gehlot government in Rajasthan of not acting promptly in the sexual harassment case of speech and hearing impaired orphan girls, Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday demanded a high court monitored investigation into it.
"Firstly, the case was kept under wraps due to the visit of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi. Then when the matter came to light, the government took no serious action and there is still no statement from the Chief Minister," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitaraman said at a press conference.
"We have no faith in CBI, so the party demands that the matter be probed by a special investigation team monitored by the high court," she said adding, "CBI must be independent, but the agency is being misused by Congress."
Allegations of sexually harassing several speech and hearing impaired girls by male employees of a residential school run by an NGO here, came to light last week.
Expressing confidence that the BJP would form the next government in poll-bound Rajasthan, Sitaraman said people will give a fitting reply to the Congress.
Refuting the UPA-II government`s report card on completion of four years, she said it was based on half-truth.
"Newer corruption cases are tumbling out every month, but the government does not say who is accountable for it," Sitaraman said.
She accused the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of misusing public money by launching the recent campaign for political reasons at public expense.
Accusing the Congress of not acting against its corrupt ministers, the BJP spokesperson said, "The Supreme Court issued notices against six Congress ministers of Andhra Pradesh government for corruption, but no action has been taken against them."
BJP state vice-president Arun Chaturvedi informed that the party would organise `Jail Bharo` agitation on June 1 in the state to protest against misuse of the CBI.
Claiming that the party`s senior legislator and Leader of Opposition Gulabchand Kataria was implicated in Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case at the behest of Congress, he added that Kataria is innocent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre