Udaipur royal scion bags prestigious UN award
Mumbai: Maharana Arvind Singh Mewar of the erstwhile royal family of Udaipur has become the second Indian to be named for the eighth Women Together Award for "Contribution to Universal Culture of the United Nations", an official spokesperson said here on Wednesday.
The award, a recognition for his work through the Maharana of Mewar Charitable Foundation (MMCF), Udaipur, would be conferred on Singh on June 5 at the UN General Assembly in New York.
The MMCF, founded by Maharana Bhagwat Singh Mewar, was unanimously selected for the award by the Women Together (WT) in association with the UN. The WT, a non-government organisation, is part of the Economic and Social Council of the UN (ECOSOC), enjoying a consultative status.
"It is a unique case study of governance at the highest level that mankind can aspire to, both in personal and business environment, mainly those constituting a relevant contribution to universal culture and help achieve the UN Millennium Development Goals to help make the world a better place," the official said.
Some of the past awardees include Ela Bhatt (the first Indian), Queen Rania of Jordan, Wangari Maathai, Isabel Yanguas, Shirin Ebadi, Barbara Probst Solomon, Louise Bourgeois, Violy McCauslant, Mario Testio, Silvia Earle, Shakira, Antonio Banderas, Katie Ford, Agatha Ruiz de la Parada, and Gaetana Enders (Mary Robinson).
Besides, companies and institutions like Grameen Bank, La Caixa Foundation, Aveda, Banco Santander, Toyota, Mango and Mario Santo Domingo Foundation have also bagged the award in the past.
The MMCF, of which Maharana Singh is the chairman and managing director, is the largest of nine public charitable institutions set up in 1969 to sustain the responsibility of the House of Mewar towards humanity after the amalgamation of the state of Udaipur into the Republic of India in 1947.
It has a dedicated 260-member team which has so far invested nearly USD 2 million into 32 projects in sectors like academics, environment, philanthropy and heritage conservation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali