Woman, parents ostracised by caste panchayat
Jaisalmer: A woman and her parents were allegedly paraded wearing garlands of shoes and ostracised by a caste panchayat in Jaisalmer for having broken off an engagement with a boy over his drinking habit.
The alleged incident occurred a couple of days back in Baiya village. The FIR in this connection was lodged on Friday against five persons, police said.
According to police, the daughter of one Kriparam was engaged to be married to Sawairam, but the match was called off when the girl`s father learnt of the boy`s drinking habit.
He later gave his daughter`s hand in marriage to another person, whereupon Sawairam`s father approached the caste panchayat and asked it to intervene in the matter.
"A case in this regard was lodged yesterday at Sangar police station... The facts are being verified.
"The victims are under our (care) and there is no threat to them," police said, adding that they were yet to make any arrests in the case.
The caste panchayat also imposed a penalty of Rs 10 lakh on the woman and her family for having broken off the engagement, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon