Woman, parents ostracised by caste panchayat
Jaisalmer: A woman and her parents were allegedly paraded wearing garlands of shoes and ostracised by a caste panchayat in Jaisalmer for having broken off an engagement with a boy over his drinking habit.
The alleged incident occurred a couple of days back in Baiya village. The FIR in this connection was lodged on Friday against five persons, police said.
According to police, the daughter of one Kriparam was engaged to be married to Sawairam, but the match was called off when the girl`s father learnt of the boy`s drinking habit.
He later gave his daughter`s hand in marriage to another person, whereupon Sawairam`s father approached the caste panchayat and asked it to intervene in the matter.
"A case in this regard was lodged yesterday at Sangar police station... The facts are being verified.
"The victims are under our (care) and there is no threat to them," police said, adding that they were yet to make any arrests in the case.
The caste panchayat also imposed a penalty of Rs 10 lakh on the woman and her family for having broken off the engagement, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Coal scam: Court awards 3 years jail term to Rathi Steel CEO
- 'India more than capable of achieving 100 Smart City goal'
- APJ Abdul Kalam's look alike pays tribute to 'Missile Man' on first death anniversary
- Bus strike enters third day in Karnataka; schools remain shut
- Myanmar rebels hold rare meet as Suu Kyi yearns for peace