Woman, parents ostracised by caste panchayat
Jaisalmer: A woman and her parents were allegedly paraded wearing garlands of shoes and ostracised by a caste panchayat in Jaisalmer for having broken off an engagement with a boy over his drinking habit.
The alleged incident occurred a couple of days back in Baiya village. The FIR in this connection was lodged on Friday against five persons, police said.
According to police, the daughter of one Kriparam was engaged to be married to Sawairam, but the match was called off when the girl`s father learnt of the boy`s drinking habit.
He later gave his daughter`s hand in marriage to another person, whereupon Sawairam`s father approached the caste panchayat and asked it to intervene in the matter.
"A case in this regard was lodged yesterday at Sangar police station... The facts are being verified.
"The victims are under our (care) and there is no threat to them," police said, adding that they were yet to make any arrests in the case.
The caste panchayat also imposed a penalty of Rs 10 lakh on the woman and her family for having broken off the engagement, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP