Woman, parents ostracised by caste panchayat
Jaisalmer: A woman and her parents were allegedly paraded wearing garlands of shoes and ostracised by a caste panchayat in Jaisalmer for having broken off an engagement with a boy over his drinking habit.
The alleged incident occurred a couple of days back in Baiya village. The FIR in this connection was lodged on Friday against five persons, police said.
According to police, the daughter of one Kriparam was engaged to be married to Sawairam, but the match was called off when the girl`s father learnt of the boy`s drinking habit.
He later gave his daughter`s hand in marriage to another person, whereupon Sawairam`s father approached the caste panchayat and asked it to intervene in the matter.
"A case in this regard was lodged yesterday at Sangar police station... The facts are being verified.
"The victims are under our (care) and there is no threat to them," police said, adding that they were yet to make any arrests in the case.
The caste panchayat also imposed a penalty of Rs 10 lakh on the woman and her family for having broken off the engagement, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh