Woman, parents ostracised by caste panchayat
Jaisalmer: A woman and her parents were allegedly paraded wearing garlands of shoes and ostracised by a caste panchayat in Jaisalmer for having broken off an engagement with a boy over his drinking habit.
The alleged incident occurred a couple of days back in Baiya village. The FIR in this connection was lodged on Friday against five persons, police said.
According to police, the daughter of one Kriparam was engaged to be married to Sawairam, but the match was called off when the girl`s father learnt of the boy`s drinking habit.
He later gave his daughter`s hand in marriage to another person, whereupon Sawairam`s father approached the caste panchayat and asked it to intervene in the matter.
"A case in this regard was lodged yesterday at Sangar police station... The facts are being verified.
"The victims are under our (care) and there is no threat to them," police said, adding that they were yet to make any arrests in the case.
The caste panchayat also imposed a penalty of Rs 10 lakh on the woman and her family for having broken off the engagement, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video