14 killed as ferry capsizes in Bangladesh storm
Dhaka: The death toll in the ferry capsize in the Golachipa river in Bangladesh rose to 14 today with the recovery of five more bodies, police said.
Divers pulled out five bodies from the river in the morning," Officer-in-charge of Golachipa police station Fakhruddin was quoted as saying by the Daily Sun.
At least 25 passengers are still missing.
The members of Fire Service and Civil Defence and Bangladesh Coast Guard retrieved the bodies between 6:00am and 12:30pm today," said Sayemuzzaman, chief executive officer of Galachipa union in Patuakhali district.
Meanwhile, a rescue vessel left Barisal for Golachipa to salvage the sunken ferry, officials at Patuakhali River Port said.
The ferry capsized in the river in Patuakhali district after the storm called `Kalboishakhi` (nor`wester) hit Galachipa area yesterday.
Local residents said nearly a dozen people managed to swim ashore while the fire service, police and local residents launched a campaign with boats in search of the missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh