14 killed as ferry capsizes in Bangladesh storm
Dhaka: The death toll in the ferry capsize in the Golachipa river in Bangladesh rose to 14 today with the recovery of five more bodies, police said.
Divers pulled out five bodies from the river in the morning," Officer-in-charge of Golachipa police station Fakhruddin was quoted as saying by the Daily Sun.
At least 25 passengers are still missing.
The members of Fire Service and Civil Defence and Bangladesh Coast Guard retrieved the bodies between 6:00am and 12:30pm today," said Sayemuzzaman, chief executive officer of Galachipa union in Patuakhali district.
Meanwhile, a rescue vessel left Barisal for Golachipa to salvage the sunken ferry, officials at Patuakhali River Port said.
The ferry capsized in the river in Patuakhali district after the storm called `Kalboishakhi` (nor`wester) hit Galachipa area yesterday.
Local residents said nearly a dozen people managed to swim ashore while the fire service, police and local residents launched a campaign with boats in search of the missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot