14 killed as ferry capsizes in Bangladesh storm
Dhaka: The death toll in the ferry capsize in the Golachipa river in Bangladesh rose to 14 today with the recovery of five more bodies, police said.
Divers pulled out five bodies from the river in the morning," Officer-in-charge of Golachipa police station Fakhruddin was quoted as saying by the Daily Sun.
At least 25 passengers are still missing.
The members of Fire Service and Civil Defence and Bangladesh Coast Guard retrieved the bodies between 6:00am and 12:30pm today," said Sayemuzzaman, chief executive officer of Galachipa union in Patuakhali district.
Meanwhile, a rescue vessel left Barisal for Golachipa to salvage the sunken ferry, officials at Patuakhali River Port said.
The ferry capsized in the river in Patuakhali district after the storm called `Kalboishakhi` (nor`wester) hit Galachipa area yesterday.
Local residents said nearly a dozen people managed to swim ashore while the fire service, police and local residents launched a campaign with boats in search of the missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!