14 Sri Lankan fishermen killed in storm
Colombo: At least 14 fishermen were killed while 36 others went missing after a storm lashed several parts of Sri Lanka for two days, a minister said Sunday.
More than 20 fishermen were also injured when their boats were caught in rough waters Friday night and early Saturday, Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development Sarath Kumara Gunaratne told Xinhua.
He said the navy and air force were involved in a search and rescue operation but there were fears many more have been killed at sea.
The department of meteorology had Saturday issued a weather alert telling fishermen not to go out to sea.
The winds uprooted trees in the capital Colombo while transport along some railway lines was hampered as a result of bad weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside