14 Sri Lankan fishermen killed in storm
Colombo: At least 14 fishermen were killed while 36 others went missing after a storm lashed several parts of Sri Lanka for two days, a minister said Sunday.
More than 20 fishermen were also injured when their boats were caught in rough waters Friday night and early Saturday, Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development Sarath Kumara Gunaratne told Xinhua.
He said the navy and air force were involved in a search and rescue operation but there were fears many more have been killed at sea.
The department of meteorology had Saturday issued a weather alert telling fishermen not to go out to sea.
The winds uprooted trees in the capital Colombo while transport along some railway lines was hampered as a result of bad weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- 225 killed or missing in China rains; protests break out
- Police pressuring woman to give false statement against Amanantullah Khan: AAP
- Turkey detains Gulen`s nephew after coup attempt: Report
- UP: BJP protest for Naseemuddin Siddiqui's arrest, Dayashankar Singh's re-induction
- Discontinue pellet guns, says J&K HC citing Rajnath's statement