14 Sri Lankan fishermen killed in storm
Colombo: At least 14 fishermen were killed while 36 others went missing after a storm lashed several parts of Sri Lanka for two days, a minister said Sunday.
More than 20 fishermen were also injured when their boats were caught in rough waters Friday night and early Saturday, Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development Sarath Kumara Gunaratne told Xinhua.
He said the navy and air force were involved in a search and rescue operation but there were fears many more have been killed at sea.
The department of meteorology had Saturday issued a weather alert telling fishermen not to go out to sea.
The winds uprooted trees in the capital Colombo while transport along some railway lines was hampered as a result of bad weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city