24 Pakistanis held over unpaid electricity bills
Islamabad: At least two dozen people in Pakistan have been arrested by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for not paying electricity bills, an official said.
The bill defaulters` cases are being tried in courts, the Dawn reported.
"Most of the arrested people belong to Punjab," NAB spokesman Ramzan Sajid said.
He said the amount unpaid by the defaulters exceeds Rs.425 million.
The daily said around Rs.77 billion is still to be paid by over 63,000 defaulters.
Because of non-recovery of dues, the debt of the electricity distribution companies has risen alarmingly, resulting in significant burden on public exchequer, adversely affecting national economy and daily life of people, the official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata