26/11: Trial in Pakistan adjourned till March 16
Islamabad: The trial of seven Pakistanis charged with involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks was on Saturday adjourned for two weeks after prosecutors informed the judge that they were awaiting an undertaking from Indian authorities regarding the visit of a Pakistani judicial commission.
Anti-terrorism court Judge Chaudhry Habib-ur-Rehman, who is conducting proceedings behind closed doors at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, put off the case till March 16 after prosecutors failed to submit an undertaking from Indian authorities that the Pakistani commission would be allowed to cross-examine four key witnesses in Mumbai.
Chief prosecutor Chaudhry Zulifqar Ali told the court that the Indian government was yet to respond to Pakistan`s request for a written assurance regarding the cross-examination of witnesses in Mumbai.
"We are awaiting the Indian government`s response," he said.
Defence lawyer Riaz Cheema told a news agency after the proceedings that the ball was now in the Indian government`s court.
"It (the Indian government) accuses us of delaying the case but now it is taking too much time to entertain the Pakistani request," he said.
"We don`t want to repeat this exercise (of visiting India) if we are not given the statements of the witnesses and allowed to cross-examine them," Cheema said.
The Pakistani judicial commission`s visit to India has already been delayed by several weeks over the issue of the assurance that members of the panel would be allowed to cross-examine the Indian witnesses.
The commission is set to make a second visit to Mumbai to record the statements of four witnesses because the anti-terrorism court rejected a report submitted after its first visit on the ground that the panel was not allowed to conduct any cross-examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you