4 militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a house in the restive North Waziristan tribal area of Pakistan on Tuesday, killing at least four militants, officials in the region said.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the house in the remote Shawal area near the Afghan border.
Shawal is located 200 km from Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency.
Besides the four militants killed, two others were injured in the strike, officials were quoted as saying by the media.
The US has continued drone strikes in Pakistan’s tribal belt despite Islamabad?s condemnation of the attacks.
Pakistan has described the drone strikes as counterproductive for the war on terror, saying they provoke anti-US sentiments.
US officials claim the drone campaign is effective in targeting Al Qaeda and Taliban elements hiding in North Waziristan.
The US has significantly increased drone strikes in Pakistan since a NATO Summit in Chicago ended last month without a deal on ending Islamabad’s six-month blockade of supply routes to Afghanistan.
The supply lines were shut after a cross-border NATO air strike killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November last year.
On June 4, a drone attack killed 15 militants in North Waziristan. The dead reportedly included senior Al Qaeda leader Abu Yahya al-Libi.
Pakistan summoned the acting US envoy on June 5 and lodged a strong protest over the drone strikes, saying the attacks were unlawful and a violation of the country’s sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH