65 Tibetans detained in Nepal
Kathmandu: Nepalese authorities on Monday
detained some 65 Tibetans, including 32 women, who were
travelling from India to the capital, police said.
The Buddhist monks and nuns, who were travelling in a
bus, were detained at Nagdhunga on the outskirts of the
capital as they failed to produce valid identification and
travel documents, police said.
The police released 62 of them after preliminary
investigation, a senior security official said, adding that
three monks were arrested as they failed to produce valid
They had managed to dodge the immigration office along
the porous Indo-Nepal border while entering the country and
several security posts along the route to the capital.
Ahead of the landmark visit of Chinese premier Wen Jiabao
on January 14, over 150 Tibetan exiles were arrested in
Kathmandu to prevent anti-Beijing protests.
Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai had underlined his
government`s "one-China policy" that views Tibet as an
integral part of China during his meeting with premier Wen.
He made it clear that Nepal would not allow any activity
directed against his giant northern neighbour on its soil.
Nepal is home to around 20,000 Tibetans and the exiled
community has carried out anti-China protests here in the last
few years, amid stepped up pressure on the government from
Beijing to halt such activities.
Every year some 2,500 Tibetans illegally enter Nepal,
crossing Tibetan border on their way to Dharamshala to meet
their spiritual leader Dalai Lama.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!