77 pilgrims held in Nepal during `Mahashivaratri`
Kathmandu: In the biggest crack down on pilgrims smoking cannabis on the occasion of `Mahashivaratri`, Nepalese police arrested at least 77 people in areas surrounding the famous Pashupatinath temple on Sunday.
Consuming cannabis is illegal in Nepal, but authorities allow `sadhus` to smoke it during the annual celebration in honour of Hindu god Shiva.
In recent years, police have cracked down on sadhus selling cannabis during the event, but this was the biggest arrest of pilgrims for drug use to date.
On the eve of `Mahashivaratri`, the Pashupati Area Development Trust (PADT) said that they will deploy volunteers to keep an eye on the sadhus and youngsters. The authorities warned that those buying marijuana from the `sadhus` would not be spared either.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city