77 pilgrims held in Nepal during `Mahashivaratri`
Kathmandu: In the biggest crack down on pilgrims smoking cannabis on the occasion of `Mahashivaratri`, Nepalese police arrested at least 77 people in areas surrounding the famous Pashupatinath temple on Sunday.
Consuming cannabis is illegal in Nepal, but authorities allow `sadhus` to smoke it during the annual celebration in honour of Hindu god Shiva.
In recent years, police have cracked down on sadhus selling cannabis during the event, but this was the biggest arrest of pilgrims for drug use to date.
On the eve of `Mahashivaratri`, the Pashupati Area Development Trust (PADT) said that they will deploy volunteers to keep an eye on the sadhus and youngsters. The authorities warned that those buying marijuana from the `sadhus` would not be spared either.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah