Activists of pro S Lankan Tamil outfit arrested
Rameswaram (TN): About 350 activists of a pro Sri Lankan Tamil outfit were arrested when they were on their way to Katchatheevu Saturday morning to hoist the tricolour at the islet, police said.
Makkal Viduthalai Katchi members, led by party founder and former MLA Murugavel Rajan were waiting to board boats to the islet after taking out a rally from the Municipality office to the sea coast when they were arrested, they said.
The activists earlier burnt an effigy of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse in protest against continued attacks on Indian fishermen, allegedly by naval personnel of the island nation.
They alleged that over 550 fishermen had been killed over time and the only solution was to retrieve Katchatheevu.
Murugavelrajan condemned Sri Lankan Minister Douglas Devanandha for his threat to mobilise Sri Lankan fisherman and hold a rally in mid sea off Rameswaram coast and for charging Indian fishermen with violating the IMBL and demanding that ministers from Tamil Nadu hold talks with them at Katchativu.
The party demanded that India support the US Backed resolution against Sri Lanka for violating Humanrights in the United Nations.
Athi Tamizhagar party leader ST Kalyanasundram also joined the former MLA. Party volunteers with the tricolour got into the sea, but were arrested, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US