Activists of pro S Lankan Tamil outfit arrested
Rameswaram (TN): About 350 activists of a pro Sri Lankan Tamil outfit were arrested when they were on their way to Katchatheevu Saturday morning to hoist the tricolour at the islet, police said.
Makkal Viduthalai Katchi members, led by party founder and former MLA Murugavel Rajan were waiting to board boats to the islet after taking out a rally from the Municipality office to the sea coast when they were arrested, they said.
The activists earlier burnt an effigy of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse in protest against continued attacks on Indian fishermen, allegedly by naval personnel of the island nation.
They alleged that over 550 fishermen had been killed over time and the only solution was to retrieve Katchatheevu.
Murugavelrajan condemned Sri Lankan Minister Douglas Devanandha for his threat to mobilise Sri Lankan fisherman and hold a rally in mid sea off Rameswaram coast and for charging Indian fishermen with violating the IMBL and demanding that ministers from Tamil Nadu hold talks with them at Katchativu.
The party demanded that India support the US Backed resolution against Sri Lanka for violating Humanrights in the United Nations.
Athi Tamizhagar party leader ST Kalyanasundram also joined the former MLA. Party volunteers with the tricolour got into the sea, but were arrested, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof