Activists of pro S Lankan Tamil outfit arrested
Rameswaram (TN): About 350 activists of a pro Sri Lankan Tamil outfit were arrested when they were on their way to Katchatheevu Saturday morning to hoist the tricolour at the islet, police said.
Makkal Viduthalai Katchi members, led by party founder and former MLA Murugavel Rajan were waiting to board boats to the islet after taking out a rally from the Municipality office to the sea coast when they were arrested, they said.
The activists earlier burnt an effigy of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse in protest against continued attacks on Indian fishermen, allegedly by naval personnel of the island nation.
They alleged that over 550 fishermen had been killed over time and the only solution was to retrieve Katchatheevu.
Murugavelrajan condemned Sri Lankan Minister Douglas Devanandha for his threat to mobilise Sri Lankan fisherman and hold a rally in mid sea off Rameswaram coast and for charging Indian fishermen with violating the IMBL and demanding that ministers from Tamil Nadu hold talks with them at Katchativu.
The party demanded that India support the US Backed resolution against Sri Lanka for violating Humanrights in the United Nations.
Athi Tamizhagar party leader ST Kalyanasundram also joined the former MLA. Party volunteers with the tricolour got into the sea, but were arrested, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'
- US, Ukraine to conduct observation flights over Russia
- 25-year-old woman gang-raped, two arrested
- How to dress like a star within your budget! Get tips right away