Afghan city of Jalalabad hit again, bomb wounds 16
Jalalabad: A bomb attack wounded 16 people on Sunday in an eastern Afghan city hit a day earlier by a deadly suicide blast targeting the Indian consulate, officials said.
The remote-controlled device exploded in Jalalabad as a vehicle passed carrying state prosecutor Abdul Qayoom, local government spokesman Ahmad Zia Abdulzai told AFP.
The powerful explosion in the city centre wounded Qayoom, his driver and four guards and 10 civilians, Abdulzai said.
A doctor at the city`s main hospital said 16 people with bomb injuries were admitted and the condition of four, including the prosecutor, was "very serious".
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombing, which followed a deadly suicide attack on the Indian consulate in the same city yesterday which killed nine civilians, most of them children studying the Koran in a nearby mosque.
That attack, a car bombing, remains unclaimed as the Taliban denied involvement soon afterwards.
The Taliban and their Al-Qaeda allies are behind most of the bombings which have plagued life in Afghanistan since the ousting of the Islamists from power in a US-led invasion in late 2001.
The militants often deny attacks that cause high number of civilian casualties and exaggerate attacks on military targets.
India has been a key supporter of Kabul`s post-Taliban government, and analysts have often pointed to the threat of a "proxy war" in Afghanistan between India and its arch-rival Pakistan.
New Delhi reacted to the consulate attack with thinly-veiled criticism of Pakistan for failing to crack down on militants and their safe havens along its western border.
Pakistan for its part condemned the attack and expressed sympathy for the victims late Saturday, but a statement from the foreign office made no reference to the Indian consulate.
The Haqqani network, a Pakistan-based group allied with Taliban and closely associated with the Pakistani intelligence service, was blamed for earlier attacks on Indian targets in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM