Afghan deputy police chief killed in bombing in Ghazni province
Ghazni: A roadside bombing killed the deputy provincial police chief in eastern Afghan province of Ghazni on Sunday, one day after the Taliban insurgent group announced the launching of an annual offensive, a provincial government spokesman said.
"The deputy police chief Mohammad Hassan Hadil and two policemen were martyred when their vehicle touched off a roadside bombing in Zana Khan district early Sunday morning," spokesman Fazil Sabawoon told Xinhua.
Taliban launched a massive attack against Zana Khan district`s administrative compound and surrounding areas in remote district in early Sunday morning, a provincial official who declined to be named told Xinhua.
He said the police official was traveling to the remote district to monitor the situation when the blast took place in the province 100 km south of national capital Kabul.
On Saturday, the Taliban, fighting Afghan government and the NATO -led coalition forces, said in a statement that they would start the annual spring operation codenamed "Khalid bin Waleed," the name of a general in Islamic history from Sunday.
They also urged civilians to stay away from official gatherings, military convoys and centers regarded as the legitimate targets by militants besides warning people not to support the government and foreign troops.
The announcement came as spring and summer, known as the fighting season, is drawing near in the insurgency-hit country.
The Taliban-led insurgency and conflicts claimed the lives of more than 2,800 Afghan security forces and 402 foreign soldiers while leaving 2,754 civilians dead last year in the central Asian state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head